Friday 28 August 2009

Hitler Alone @ the Edinburgh Fringe

The ThreeWeeks review of Paul Webster's Hitler Alone, a show in an incredibly small room (fourteen in the audience) which would have been amazing if it had coincided with the guns/fireworks firing up at the castle:

Adolf Hitler was a foot away from me, banging on the floor and shouting about the people who'd betrayed him. He was angry about inept Generals, but I couldn't help being pleased with their failure. I didn't show that I was pleased; Hitler was screaming and spitting in front of me. The man's a megalomaniac, you don't argue with him - even when he says every generation should experience war. I disagree, but so powerful is Paul Webster's performance that counter-arguments fall away. With a liberal smattering of historical fact, Webster keeps a tiny venue in hushed awe as Germany's charismatic Führer - he shows the man within the monster. You'll not quickly forget this man ranting in a small room.

tw rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment